Saturday, February 12, 2011

My favourite Bhajan: Amma Baramma

This week I got the opportunity to sing my favourite Bhajan twice in a row. This post is dedicated to Amma.

Amma baaramma namma tayi baramma
guruguha janani parasivaramani akhilandeshvariye
akhilandeshvariye amma akhilandeshvariye

O Mother, dearest Mother, please come before us. Empress of the universe, You are the mother of Muruga and the wife of Shiva.


Parama paavane thrishula dharini chamundesvari nee
annava nidi poreyuva amma annapurnnesvari
tri loka janani tri loka palini loka rakshaki nee

You are the embodiment of purity, O carrier of the trident. You are the Goddess Chamundi. O Goddess Annapurneshvari, by Your grace, we obtain our food and nourishment. You sustain  and protect the three worlds. O Mother, You maintain this Earth

Sringeriyalli nagu naguttiruva sharada deviyu nee
japa vannariye tapa vannariye ennanu ariye
amma endu kugidaga ododi baramma
ododi baramma amma ododi baramma

You are Sarada Devi, O Goddess in Sringeri who blissfully smiles. I don't know about the repetition of sacred names, nor do I know anything about austerities. Despite that, when I call out "Mother", please come running to me

On 14 February 2006 , while on tour, at Dhareshwar beach, Amma picked up a tambourine and began singing out to the sea: Amma baramma namma taye baram ma...






No comments:

Post a Comment